At JABA, our mission is to ensure that individuals and families live better. We believe that living as part of a community promotes healthy aging, so all JABA owned and run living options promote a sense of community. Whether you are seeking independent living or living with assistance, JABA continues to establish and preserve affordable living communities that increase options for living better.
Living as an elder should be an enjoyable part of your life. Why not enjoy yourself as part of a community that learns, plays and works together? At JABA, we have designed our Community Centers and our Adult Care Centers to promote fun and fellowship.
JABA is all about lending support to seniors in need of assistance. Whether that includes basic information, case management, insurance counseling, home delivered meals — or any of the many other available services — we want you to think of JABA as a source of support for you or your loved ones. Most of our support is offered as a gift to those who cannot pay. See individual programs for more details.
- »Adult Care Centers
- »Care Coordination
- »Caregiver Support Group
- »Care Transitions
- »Case Management
- »Community Resource Guide
- »Health Services
- »Home Care
- »Home Delivered Meals
- »Information & Assistance
- »Insurance Counseling
- »Long Term Care Advocate
- »Veterans Services
- »Browse All Support Resources
JABA is able to do all that it does because of generous volunteers and donors. We value contributions of time as well as dollars and promise to put your talents and your donations to very good use.
In the past five years, government funding has diminished. Luckily, individual and corporate contributions have begun to rise. Your assistance is greatly appreciated and needed.
What’s good for us as we age is good for our entire community — from planning for neighborhood growth, to promoting local foods and collaborating for the best use of resources. This is the philosophy behind JABA’s mission, “to promote, establish and preserve sustainable communities for healthy aging that benefit individuals and families of all ages.”
The Affordable Care Act provides low cost insurance options for qualifying individuals. JABA's counselors assist consumers of any age with sorting through their plan options, premium tax credit eligibility and cost sharing opportunities. Call us at 434-817-5239 to make an appointment.
JABA provides free health insurance information, one-on-one counseling, and claims filing assistance to Medicare beneficiaries and their families. This service is part of the statewide Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program (VICAP). The JABA VICAP specialist and volunteers (who receive regular training and are not licensed to sell insurance) also provide free, confidential counseling about:
Understanding the Medicare enrollment process
Selecting Medicare supplement insurance
Enrolling in the Medicare Prescription Drug Program (Medicare Part D)
Understanding Medicare statements and medical bills to get errors corrected
Transferring from an HMO to regular Medicare
Choosing long-term care insurance
Applying for Low Income Subsidy, Medicare Savings Program and Medicaid
Protecting Seniors from Scams and Fraud
And More ...
- Valuable Resources »
1. Mail from Medicare: Official mail from Medicare comes in different colors and can be very important. This simple chart shows what to expect and why it's important. Read more ...
2. Annual Open Enrollment (October 15 - December 7, 2014) Information and Details: Read more ...
3. Medicare.gov allows you to set up your own personalized account to monitor charges to your Medicare number and answer questions about the coverage your plans provide. Read more ...
4. Social Security information, Charlottesville office: 1-866-613-3959, National toll free number: 1-800-772-1213. Online services include applying for/replacing your social security card, applying for your Medicare card and calculating your retirement benefits. Spanish language services and materials also available. Read more ...
5. You can apply for Low Income Subsidy (Extra Help) with your prescription drug costs with Social Security. Read more ...
6. The Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Social Services provides a single online application for Medicaid, medical assistance, SNAP (food stamps), fuel assistance and more Read more ...
7. The Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) website helps you learn how to recognize and protect yourself against Medicare fraud. Read more ...
8. The Federal Trade Commission Bureau of Consumer Protection helps you to protect yourself from identity theft, scams and fraud and tells you what to do if you think you have already been a victim of fraud. Read more ...
- Contact Us »
The JABA VICAP specialist and volunteer staff are available to meet with clients on an appointment basis at JABA's main office at 674 Hillsdale Drive in Charlottesville. Home visits can be arranged for homebound clients. To schedule an appointment, contact Judy Robinson, JABA's VICAP Coordinator at 434-817-5239 or email@example.com or Sally Mank, VICAP Specialist, 434-817-5248, firstname.lastname@example.org at JABA, 674 Hillsdale Dr. Ste. 9 Charlottesville, VA 22901, Main phone number 434-817-5222.
- Volunteer Training Videos »